- Who is A&A ... and what is this thing called GIS?
- Anderson & Associates is a civil engineering firm
that has been engineering the "high tech - high touch" way for over 30 years and is
ready to help you with your traditional (and specialized) engineering needs. A&A
has worked with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) since 1985.
Our dedicated team of geographers, united with our engineering and surveying
experience, offers you a wealth of resources and applied knowledge in the GIS field.
Our GIS experience includes emergency response and E911, utility mapping, school planning and bus routing, facilities management, parcel mapping, overlay analysis, and economic
development applications like industrial sites, land use, and land classification analysis.
- What is GIS?
- A Geographic Information System (GIS) is a computerized marriage between a graphic
representation and a textual description of a geographic location. A GIS provides the decision maker
with a logical and graphic representation of geographically referenced information.
- A GIS can maintain, analyze, and report on:
- geographical data, such as points and symbols, lines and curves or polygons,
attribute data, such as: characters, numbers or dates.
- A GIS can provide accurate answers to geographic questions such as:
Where is a feature located?
What is it adjacent to?
What is its relationship to other features.
A GIS provides a powerful, logical, and intuitive means to store, manipulate, and retrieve
data. It provides the ability to see on screen or in map form, only those features or
objects that meet specific selection criteria. In an instant, you can visually identify
features in a geographic representation that would take much longer to find in a printed